From the TCG Archives (September 2005)

Taking another dive back into our archives, this article written by Lori Segneri showcases a day in her life as a broadcast captioner. 

It doesn’t appear as though much has changed for a captioner’s regular day-to-day; however, the way a captioner can access information has advanced greatly!

Enjoy reading how a typical day as a captioner in 2005 was for Lori.

A Day in the Life

Beep, beep, beep beep…it’s 4:00 a.m., again, and time to kick-start another day. I walk through the house silent as a mouse, enjoying what undoubtedly is the quietest part of my day, the time before my husband, kids and dog wake up.


Coffee, sweet coffee, where are you? After sucking back two cups like someone who has been lost in the desert for days, I am ready to go.


A day in the life of a captioner - books and coffee


I make the trip to the office (just down the hall), log on to the Internet and start perusing the usual news-oriented sites in order to find out what’s news in the world today.


 4:54 a.m.

I command my modem to call up our first assignment of the day. After listening to the modem screech and squawk and finally connect, I put on my headphones and wait for the morning news to be beamed to me from somewhere far from home.


 6:00 a.m.

With my first show done, it’s time to feed the horse — I mean the dog — and take him for a walk. It is only then that I realize I am in fact actually awake! 


A day in the life of a captioner - walking the dog 


When I get home, I put on my “mom” hat, wake up the kids, feed them breakfast and make their lunches for the day, just in time for my husband to get them ready for school. The best part of all of this is I’m still in my pajamas!


7:15 a.m.

I have another assignment in 15 minutes, just enough time to change from my pajamas into my running clothes. I knock out the 7:30 show and head out for a run.


9:45 a.m.

Showered and ready to go, I prepare for an hour and a half of captioning.

Wow, did that go by fast!! I try and get myself together and run out the door and into the school to volunteer or out to complete one of a million errands.


3:30 p.m.

My most difficult show of the day, why? It’s not the content, it’s not the hyper speed babbling host, but it’s the timing of it all.


A day in the life of a captioner - to-do list


Right before airtime, I find myself preparing my son for hockey and my daughter for Tahitian dance class – not to mention getting their homework organized and ensuring that they are not going to rip each other’s hair out while I’m on the air.


5:30 p.m.

The dinner news hour has begun, and I am off and writing the news for a local station, far up north – it’s cold there, and I am glad to be where I am! “And that’s the news for tonight.”

I poke my head out of the office and hear my family’s cries for supper. Luckily for them, I have time to accommodate their request, and go about putting together a meal fit for a king or queen.


8:00 p.m.

My last group of shows for the evening! Will 9:30 never come??


A day in the life of a captioner - clock


As my day winds down, my husband has finished the dishes and put the kids into the shower, preparing them for bedtime.

It’s been a long day, but I have enjoyed every minute of it, getting the most of my time and the flexibility offered to me by being able to work from home.



From TCG’s 2005 Archives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.